You encounter all the flavours of the world in the WUR community. Sarah-Maria Scheid (24), a Climate Studies MSc student from Germany, shares a recipe for Reibekuchen.
Reibekuchen are also known as ´Krebbelche´, ´Kartoffelpuffer´ or ´Rievkooche´. They are a classic dish from the Rhineland region and are served on various occasions, especially at village fairs, Christmas markets or special Reibekuchen festivals in the autumn. A portion typically consists of three Reibekuchen served with a portion of apple sauce.
Ingredients (for approximately 15 Reibekuchen, 4-5 servings):
- 1kg large potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Oil for frying
- Seasoning: salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Peel and grate the raw potatoes.
- Drain the potatoes in a sieve or towel, pressing out as much liquid as possible.
- Peel and chop the onions and mix them with the eggs and grated potato.
- Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and nutmeg and bind it with the cornflour.
- Heat the frying pan with plenty of oil, so the potato cakes will swim in oil.
- Create small potato pancakes and fry them on both sides until they are golden-brown.
- Keep adding oil to the pan, because the Reibekuchen soak it up.
- Keep the fried Reibekuchen warm in the oven (50-80°C) until they are all done.
- Serve with apple sauce.
Win a lunch voucher!
Share your recipe with Resource and win an Aurora lunch voucher worth 10 euros: email@example.com.