‘Kimchi fried rice (or kimchi-bokkeum-bap) is a type of bokkeum-bap, a fried and flavoured rice dish. You find it in every Korean snack-food restaurant. This dish reminds me of my school days. Like every other student in Korea, I went to the snack-food restaurant whenever I felt hungry during a break. This quick meal is affordable and nutritious. Above all, it’s delicious!’
- 1 cup chopped kimchi (pickled vegetables)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup steamed rice
- 2 tbsp kimchi juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1/2 spring onion (chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 sheets of dried seaweed (Nori sheets or ‘GIM’ in Korean)
- Sesame seeds to decorate
- 1 egg, fried sunny-side up
- Heat a frying pan. Add the vegetable oil.
- Fry chopped spring onion and onion with butter. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add kimchi and kimchi juice with soy sauce. Fry all together.
- Add the chilli powder and the sugar.
- Add 1 cup of steamed rice.
- Fry all ingredients together and add the sesame oil.
- Sprinkle with roasted seaweed and sesame seeds.
- Put the fried egg on top. Serve right away.