‘Jollof is a popular dish in Africa. It is rice cooked with tomato sauce. This is a quick recipe for making the ever-popular Ghana Jollof. It reminds me of the competition we have back home with Nigeria on whose Jollof tastes the best.’
Ingredients for 2-3 people
- 1 red onion
- 2 chili peppers (habanero)
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Rice (3 cups)
- 300g beef (or any protein source you prefer)
- 1 beef stock cube
- Rosemary and basil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut meat into fine cubes.
- Chop onion and add half to the meat.
- Blend ginger, pepper and garlic and add to the meat.
- Add salt, stock cube, rosemary, basil.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and simmer for 10 mins max.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add the remaining chopped onion and 1 tsp of rosemary and fry until caramelized. Then add the tomatoes. Cover to simmer for 5 mins on medium heat.
- Add the cooked beef and stock to the tomato mix. Stir for a while and add the tomato paste. Add 1 tsp curry and leave to cook for 5 mins. Then add 2 tbsp oil.
- Add the rice to the sauce. Stir until evenly absorbed. Leave to cook for about two mins and add 4 cups of water. Note: if the rice absorbs a lot of water, add another ½ cup of water. Add salt to taste.
- Leave to cook for 10-15 min.
- Check now and then to see if the rice has absorbed the water. When it has, add 1 tbsp butter, turn the heat low and allow it to cook through.
Which dish makes you think of home? Why not share your recipe with Resource and let everyone enjoy that delicacy? You can send it to email@example.com.